Wednesday 8 August 2012

Intimiss-ing something?

As I mentioned a few weeks ago I went to Italy for a week for my friends wedding. It was an absolutely wonderful week, like actually. I have been to two fantastic weddings this summer and I swear I'm never going to be able to get married: my wedding could hope to ever match theirs!

Anyway, as any lingerie junkie knows it is almost impossible to walk past a lingerie store without being pulled in like a magnet to a fridge door. So, the windows of lace and lust of Intimissimi called to me. And in I went. A particularly gorgeous white lace long line bra caught my eye. Reasonably priced at £28 I hunted for my size. Only numbers stared back at me from the labels. What on earth? Size 1? What is that? After much probing and a few terrible Italian vs. terrible English question and answers with a staff member I worked out that their sizing goes from 1 to 4. A size 1 'equates' to a 32A/B, a 2 a 34 A/B and so. So understandably when I asked for a 30F she looked at me like I'd asked her to take all her clothes off and do the Macarena.

She laughed, sort of, and said that some of their styles went, incredulously, up to a D cup. Wow. So that wiped out have the store. No new pretty Italian lingerie for me. But wait! Round the corner I found thier gorgeous collection of sleepwear. A consolation prize, sure, but a terribly pretty one nonetheless. So I went in for the pretty white lace long line bra, and I came out without it. But I did buy a grey marl jumper with PEARLS on and a cute pair of PJ shorts with lace peeking out the bottom. Cute.

Intimissimi isn't the only Italian brand with screwed up sizing. La Perla, the gold standard, is similarly bonkers. Although is has improved, the cups are almost always too sharp in the wire (too sharp a curve), and the elastic round the back tends to gives very quickly. But they're beautiful, and despite their faults the still make the ultimate boudoir bras.

Ninja, xx

No comments:

Post a Comment